Thursday, February 16, 2012

Presidents- Yay for Centers!

This is my second week teaching presidents.  We are learning a lot! I tried centers with my class yesterday & today, and I am so proud of the students!  They worked so well together and kept the noise level down- which is usually unheard of.

First, we read about the country's capital city and ours.  Then we read about different monuments in Washington D.C.; such as, the Jefferson Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Washington Monument.  After I had the students make their own memorial out of play dough.  The monuments were suppose to be for them if they were president.  They turned out very interesting to say the least and were very creative.

I had a computer station as well.  The students got on this website: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/interactive-tour.  If you have never been here I suggest you check it out! It has an interactive tour of the White House.  Students could go to different areas of the White House and click to view pictures in different areas and rooms.  The pictures were very neat and had captions.  The students loved getting a peak in the house.  I even learned facts from the site.  Like, did you know that the White House has a bee keeper and they make their own honey to be used in the kitchen!?
We did a fun craft for George Washington.  He completed our hallway bulletin board display.  It is so cute to see how the students use their own creativity to make a uniformed craft unique.

1 comment:

  1. LOTS of fun learning going on in your classroom! Thank you for sharing your pictures!

    I am your newest follower! I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete